Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Found via Slashdot, Gizmodo have a short article on the Lego archive. I can't believe Lego had the foresight to do this: they've actually stored a copy of almost every Lego product line ever sold still in their original little plastic bags in those brilliant flip-top boxes! Talk about your trips down memory lane! The video shows all my favourite sets - the small space Lego sets, the big Lego Technic car.

Before I discovered role-playing in my early teens (in the early 80s), I played with Lego virtually every weekend, the first gift I ever gave to the woman that is now my wife was a small Lego set (flowers and chocolates are just so passé), and even when I was trying to design a platforming game as a 27 year old, I still went back to Lego as a prototyping medium. Not only that, but my children still have my collection in the toybox, and it comes out from time to time, even though Lego no longer seems to hold children like it used to.

I loved the creativity of building my own toys, and what toy today gives you the tools to make cranes that span a garden? (ok, the string did, the driving & lifting mechanisms were a little smaller)

No comments:

Post a Comment